This article is to fix the “HP printer says out of paper error, but it’s not”. The error message suggests that the printer is not picking up paper even if there is paper inside the input tray.
Causes: Incorrect paper settings, outdated firmware, or mechanical issues with paper trays, may cause this “out of paper” error message.
Recommendation: Connect with a technician via live chat to avail of the most instant solution to resolve the problem.
Top Solutions to Fix HP Printer Out of Paper Error
This printer status is mostly encountered on HP Envy [5540, 7640], Photosmart 7520, Officejet [4500, 6500], and LaserJet series printers. If your HP printer says out of paper error but there is paper then implement the best ten solutions to fix this issue.
Solution 1: Before Loading Paper Stack Examine The Paper Sheets
When your HP printer has paper but says out of paper, Examine the paper stack properly for any defects such as torn, twisted, and wrinkled papers. Also, make sure there is no moisture inside the printer otherwise the printer will not pick up the papers to print.
- Firstly remove every piece of paper from the paper tray to make it empty.
- Now you are supposed to take out severely bent, wrinkled, or torn paper obtained from the paper stack.
- Next, examine the paper tray from the inside to solve if there are any obstacles. Ensure that no mechanism blocks the paper to engage with the rollers.
- Make sure the paper stack is even from all sides. Tap on a flat surface for alignment.
- Now place the stack of paper inside the paper tray. It suggested not to use more than 25 sheets while printing.
- Next close of push the paper tray inside.
- Now try to print any document. Ensure that you are using the correct paper size on the control panel or in the printer software.
Solution 2: Clean The Printer’s Paper Feed Rollers [Top Paper Tray]
Jammed paper and dirt in the paper pick rollers often create problems. Due to this, your printer fails to initiate the print operation. Therefore, you should clean the dirt or debris or jammed paper from the paper pick rollers. This will resolve the printer showing paper out of paper status.
- Firstly Turn OFF your HP printer then get a flashlight.
- Now, you have to wait until the printer is in its idle or silent state.
- Next, disconnect the power cable from the rear side of the printer.
- Moreover, remove the paper stack from the input tray.
- Now, look inside the input tray with the help of a flashlight to find the paper pick rollers.
- Next, lightly dampen a cotton swab with distilled water then compress it to extract the excess water from it.
- Now clean the rollers with the help of a cotton swab. To completely clean paper pick rollers, you recommended using your fingers for their rotation.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes to completely dry the rollers.
- Finally, reconnect the power cable and then turn ON your HP printer and check if there is any HP printer out of paper error.
Solution 3: Clean The Printer’s Paper Pick Rollers [Under Printer]
Besides the top paper tray, users should also clean the paper pick rollers from the bottom. Make sure you perform this method after powering off the printer and disconnecting the cables. To clean the rollers, use a soft cotton swab with distilled water. Read the detailed instructions for the same:
- First turn OFF your printer.
- Now, you need to wait until the printer goes into its idle or silent phase.
- Following, detach the power cable from the rear end of the printer.
- Further, remove the paper stack from the input tray.
- Raise the printer and put it on its side or back.
- Now pull out the paper tray and then find the gray paper pick rollers.
- Next, softly moisten a cotton swab with distilled water and later squeeze it to remove the excess water from it.
- Now clean the rollers with the help of a cotton swab. To completely clean paper pick rollers, you suggested using your fingers for their rotation.
- Wait for at least 2 minutes to dry the rollers.
- Set the printer upright.
As you clean the paper pick rollers properly, you can reconnect the power cord to the rear end and then turn ON your HP printer. Then, check if your HP printer says out of paper. If so, continue following the next solutions.
Solution 4: Clean The Printer’s Paper Pick Rollers [Inside Printer]
Paper pick rollers should also be properly cleaned from the inside. All you have to do is remove the paper stack from the input tray and gently clean it with a cotton swab. Use a torch for better vision and fingers to rotate the rollers.
- Turn OFF your HP printer then get a flashlight.
- Stand by until the printer is in its passive or silent state.
- Following, disconnect the power cable from the rear side of the printer.
- Moreover, remove the paper stack from the input tray.
- Depending on your printer type, use the torch to discover the paper pick roller.
- Next, gently moisten a cotton swab with purifying water then press it to extort the excess water from it.
- Now clean the rollers with the help of a cotton swab. To completely clean paper pick rollers, you are advised to use your fingers to rotate them.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes to completely dry the rollers.
- Finally, cleaning the printer’s paper pick rollers from inside, you can reconnect the power cord and then turn ON your HP printer.
Solution 5: Examine The Printer Spooler Functioning
If your HP Printer says out of paper but has paper, this is probably due to the improper functioning of the printer spooler service. To solve this problem, open the printer spooler and check its service status. If the status shows Stop then you can change it to Start.
Implement the below-mentioned steps to examine that the spooler functioning correctly:
- Access the run application from the windows key. Then type “services.msc” and hit enter.
- Now a list of services will appear on the screen, and you need to find the print spooler service. Check the service status, whether shown as started or stopped.
- If you found the service status stopped, then you need to right-click on it and start the print spooler service.
- Next, click on apply changes and then OK.
- Now try to print a test document if HP Sprocket says out of error persist then proceed with the next solution.
Solution 6: Reset Your HP Envy, Photosmart, Officejet, Laserjet, Deskjet Series Printer
Common problems such as paper jams, ink failure, and fuser error are the reasons that your printer keeps saying out of paper. By resetting your HP Printer, you can recover the device from various printer errors and failures. Perform the following steps to understand better:
- While the printer is turned ON, you need to disconnect the power cord from the rear end of the printer.
- Now detach the power cable from the power source.
- You are supposed to wait for at least 1 minute.
- Reconnect the power cable to the power source and the printer.
- Finally, turn ON your HP printer to complete the reset process. If the HP printer out of paper error is still there, continue with the other solutions.
Solution 7: Apply the Correct Paper Settings to Avoid HP Printer Out of Paper Error
To avoid an HP printer out of paper error, one should check the paper settings in a print driver. This will help you to know what is exactly loaded in the paper tray. To apply the correct paper settings in a print driver, the following instructions can be followed:
Please Note: These changes will not modify the default print settings. The next time you will launch the program, the print settings will automatically switch to the default settings.
- Before proceeding further, access the document you wanted to print when you encountered the HP out of paper error message.
- Then, go to the File menu.
- Select the Print option. This will launch a dialog box.
- After this, use the button that brings up the Properties dialog box. The button name may appear with any of the following names depending on your software program:
- Printer Setup
- Now, click the Paper/Quality or Features tab to view the paper size and type settings.
- Choose the paper size using the Size is a drop-down option. The paper size you choose should match the paper loaded in the tray.
- By using the Type is a drop-down option, you can choose the type of paper. Make sure it matches with the paper loaded in the tray.
- Hit the OK button to save the settings.
- Then, press OK again. This will print the document.
Please Note: If you prefer to print with a different paper type settings then you can put the new paper type and follow the same steps shared above.
After implementing these settings, you don’t need to execute other troubleshooting steps. If the printer out of paper error HP gets solved.
However, if the printer keeps saying out of paper, you must continue with subsequent solutions.
Solution 8: Clear Cached Print Jobs to Fix HP Printer Says Out of Paper but it’s not
When your HP printer says out of paper but has paper, it is an indication there are cached print jobs present in your system. By deleting such cached print jobs, you can get rid of HP printer out of paper errors. Find out how to clear cached print jobs on a Windows computer:
- Launch Windows Explorer on your PC.
- Then, enter the following location in the address field:
- Now, open the Printers folder.
- Choose the files you want to clear from the folder. If you want to select all the files, use Ctrl + A keys.
- Then, open the Explorer toolbar.
- Switch to the Organize tab.
- Hit the Delete button.
By removing the selected or all the hidden files in the Printers folder, you can clear the cached print jobs. If your HP printer saying out of paper even after clearing the print queue, move to the next fixation method.
Solution 9: Update Print Drivers to Settle HP Printer Says Out of Paper But There is Paper
Old print drivers may not perform efficiently. As a result, you confront a lot of interruptions when sending print jobs or using the HP printer. If you are wondering why my HP printer keeps saying out of paper, updating the print drivers can solve your problem.
- Launch Cortana on your Windows computer.
- Then, type Device Manager in the search bar.
- When the Device Manager opens, click Printers.
- Click right on the HP printer.
- Click the Update Driver Software option.
This will show the link to update the print drivers automatically. Once you click on this option, your Windows computer starts searching for the updates for the drivers.
Thereafter, it starts downloading and installing the updates. You can keep following the on-screen instructions to complete the action. By updating the print driver, you can fix the issue when your HP printer keeps saying out of paper.
Solution 10: Your HP Printer Need Service
Most probably, you can resolve the HP printer keeps saying out of paper error with the help of the above solutions. If the issue persist then your HP printer needs service. You may also replace your HP Product.
Moreover, you can contact HP Printer Customer Support team to resolve the printer out of paper error. The team will help you with product repair or replacement guidelines.
The team of experts can guess the reason behind the printer says out of paper error, but it’s not, and fix them quickly. Moreover, they will also ensure you with the printer’s best performance by speeding it up in minimum time.
You can check your product warranty status from the hp product warranty check page. If your product is out of warranty, then the repair payment will be charged.
The Causes Behind HP Printer Keeps Saying Out of Paper
Let’s understand the reasons behind the cause why my HP printer keeps saying out of paper. With the help of a specific cause, you will get to know which solution will work in one go.
- Maybe HP printer paper feed rollers choked with dust and paper debris.
- The incompatibility problem with the windows-10 operating system leads to this issue.
- It can be the possibility that you are using an outdated printer driver for everyday functioning.
- It may occur because of so many pending print jobs that are stuck in the printer’s queue.
- The improper function of the print spooler needs troubleshooting.
- Use of low-quality paper that makes its edges curl because of moisture absorbed by it.
HP Envy 4500, 4520, 5055, Photosmart 5520, 6520, 7520, OfficeJet 3830, 4650, 5255, OJ Pro 6978, 8600, 8710, Deskjet 2600, 3520, 3630, Series Printers with Out of Paper Error
|HP Photosmart 5510, 5520, 5525, 6510, 6520, 6525, 7510, 7520, 7525 printer out of paper error.|
|Solve HP Envy 4500, 4510, 4512, 4520, 5000, 5055, 5530, 5540, 5660, 7640 printer says out of paper error but there is paper.|
|HP Officejet Pro 6830, 6960, 6968, 6970, 6975, 6978, 8600, 8610, 8620, 8710, 8720, 9010, 9015 printer keeps saying out of paper.|
|Settle HP Officejet 3830, 4620, 4650, 5255, 5258, 6600, 8600, 4500, 4630 says out of paper error but has paper.|
|Resolve HP Deskjet 2130, 3520, 3755, 3630, 3700, 2600, 2620, 3830, 2652 printer keeps saying out of paper.|