The print jobs might get stuck unexpectedly which may also prevent other print jobs from printing. Moreover, the Delete or Cancel buttons stop responding or are grayed out. If you are facing such a print job stuck on HP printer error, you can perform the troubleshooting methods to fix this.
We are providing a few methods to solve print job stuck issues for Windows and Mac. It is also recommended to troubleshoot the wireless network.
Resolve Print Job Stuck on HP Printer Error on Windows
If your HP printer is connected to a Windows computer, you can try resetting the printing environment such as clearing the print job files and stopping the print spooler. By using the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool and reinstalling the HP Print Driver on your Windows computer.
By resetting the Windows printing environment, you can resolve the print job stuck on HP printer error. For this, you need to stop the print spooler and clear print job files. Later, you can restart your printer and computer.
- Power off your printer.
- Then, remove the power cord.
- Search for the Services using the Windows search bar.
- From the Services window, click right on the Print Spooler option.
- Click on the Stop button.
- Once the Print Spooler stops, you can close the Services screen.
- To clear the print jobs, open File Explorer on Windows.
- Browse to the following path:
- C: > Windows > System 32 > spool > PRINTERS
- Here, you can remove all the files located in the PRINTERS folder.
- Now, shut down the Windows computer.
Later, you can reconnect the power cord to the printer. Then, power on both your printer and computer.
Fix 2: Running HP Print and Scan Doctor to Solve Print Jobs Stuck Problem
HP Print and Scan Doctor tool is a smart program that helps in scanning and printing issues to fix them. Before running this tool, one has to make sure that the main tray has enough paper and then power on the printer.
- Download the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool and pursue the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Then, launch the tool.
- Click the Start menu on the Welcome screen.
- Now, choose your printer model and run the diagnostic.
In case you cannot find the printer, click the My product is not listed option. Thereafter, continue following the prompts shown on the screen to troubleshoot the connection.
Errors like print job stuck on HP printer can be fixed if you uninstall your HP print driver on your computer. Later, you can install the latest print driver.
- First of all, remove the USB cables from your printer.
- Then, use the Windows search bar to find the Add or remove programs.
- Now, go through the list of programs and locate the name of your printer.
- If you spot the printer name then click on it and hit the Uninstall button.
- If you don’t find the printer’s name then do the following:
- Search for the Printers and Scanners section.
- From there, you can click on the printer’s name and hit Remove device.
- Click the Yes button when you see the User Account Control message.
- Now, keep following the instructions displayed on your screen.
This will successfully remove the printer from your Windows computer. Then, you can restart your computer and download the new print drivers. Make sure the print drivers are compatible with your device.
Resolve Print Job Stuck on HP Printer Error on Mac
The HP printer connected with the Mac system also allows you to fix the print job stuck on HP printer error. You can use the HP Smart Diagnose & Fix feature to effortlessly repair the issue. Besides, you can clear the print queue, reset the print system, and reinstall the print driver to avoid errors.
HP Smart app has the Diagnose & Fix feature that helps you to repair connection problems. If you are facing errors such as a print job stuck on HP printer, perform the following steps on macOS 10.14 or later.
- Launch the HP Smart app. If you don’t have HP Smart, download it and add your printer model to it.
- After this, click on the Printers option.
- Select the Diagnose & Fix option.
- Then, hit the Start button on the Diagnose & Fix screen.
Wait until the process is complete. Make sure you don’t close the app as it might interrupt the process. When you see the diagnosis screen, check the results, and click on the Done or Test Print option.
Fix 2: Clearing the Print Queue to Fix Print Job Stuck Issue
If the print job gets stuck on your printer, try clearing all the print queue jobs. This can be done through the Terminal functionality. Before moving further, make sure you close the Apple Image Capture, HP Scan, and HP Easy Scan programs if open.
- Go to the Finder option.
- Click on the Applications option.
- Select the Utilities button.
- Then, click twice on the Terminal option.
- Now, type the Cancel-a option.
- Hit the Enter key.
Once you are done performing these steps, close the Terminal window. After this, restart your Mac computer and check if you are facing any errors such as print job stuck on HP printer.
Fix 3: Resetting the Print System
If you reset your print system, it can clear the errors that occur in the printer machine. This should be noted that resetting the printer also removes the HP or non-HP printers, printer preferences, and pending printer jobs. Hence, you will have to add the printer to the queue.
- To reset your print system on Mac, click on the Apple icon.
- Move to the System Preferences.
- Select the Printers & Scanners, Print & Fax, or Print & Scan.
- Go to the Printers list and click right or press the Control + click anywhere.
- Here, select the Reset Printing System.
- Press the Reset button to confirm your action.
- Now, type the admin name and password.
- Click the OK button to finish the reset.
After applying the reset, you can add your printer again to the print system. To do so, you can select the Plus sign, choose your printer model from the list, and click the Add button.
The print job stuck on HP printer error can be resolved if you uninstall the HP print driver and then add your printer using AirPrint. Read the detailed instructions:
- Download HP Easy Start.
- Then, click on Uninstall HP Software using the HP Easy Start drop-down option.
- Pursue the on-screen prompts to successfully remove the HP software.
- After this, select the Apple icon.
- Click on the System Preferences option.
- Select the Printers & Scanners, Print & Fax, or Print & Scan.
- Select the Plus (+) sign.
- Choose your printer model from the list.
- Now, click on the Print Using or Use field.
- Select the AirPrint option using the drop-down menu.
- Click the Add button.
If the AirPrint feature is not available or you want a particular HP-only function then download the HP driver.
If you could not find your printer during software or if the wireless print jobs fail, you can check the network issues and then set up requirements.
Poor Network Connection
- Move your computer or mobile and printer closer to a wireless router.
- Then, inspect if the signal quality has improved.
- Now, open the website to check if your internet connection is properly working.
- In case the WiFi network is slow, you can restart the router. For this, you can remove the power cord, wait for 15 seconds, and reconnect the cord.
Your Printer is Offline or in Sleep Mode
- Sometimes you see the printer status Offline even if it is not.
- If your printer is off or in sleep mode, you can tap on the control panel. Alternatively, use the Power button to put your printer in the ready state and wake up your printer.
Check the Status of the Printer Connection
- Make sure your wireless signal is turned on.
- Your printer should be connected to the same connection as your mobile or computer.
- If the printer has the light located next to the Wireless button then make sure it is on. In case it blinks, it indicates your printer is not connected to the network.
Reconnect Your Printer to the Network
- Place your printer within the range of a WiFi router signal.
- Then, you can connect your printer to the network.
Restart the Devices
- Restart your computer or mobile and printer. It will clear the possible errors if present in your devices.
Print a Wireless Test Report
- Search for your printer model on the HP Customer Support website.
- Then, locate the self-test page and find the document that can help you to print and evaluate the report.
Turn On Bluetooth for HP Smart App Setup
- Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile or computer. This will allow your HP Smart app to detect the printer during the setup.
Wireless isolation might be causing the printer to appear offline. Make sure you connect with the router manufacturer for more details.
Print jobs often get stuck by print jobs. This may happen due to numerous reasons. By resetting your printer, checking the network connection, and reinstalling the print driver, you can fix this problem.