When you attempt to scan, fax, or copy, you may encounter a Scanner Failure or Scanner System Failure error on an HP printer. Moreover, the error might display in different forms; Unable to copy, scan, or fax. If you are facing such problems when scanning documents, you can perform the basic troubleshooting techniques to solve the issue.
4 Most Effective Methods to Solve HP Printer Scanner Failure Error
Such errors appear for power or scanner hardware problems such as calibration or scanner bar jam issues, external or internal electrical issues, and low scanner bulb temperature. Although, it is not related to USB connection or network issues.
To fix the Scanner Failure error, you should check the functionality of your scanner bar. Besides, you can try resetting the printer machine, reinstalling the HP printer, and using the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool.
Go through each method with detailed instructions to solve the scanner failure error:
When you confront a scanner failure error, you should check the scanner bar functionality of your flatbed scanner (if using this). Then, examine if it is properly working. Following is the step-by-step guide for the same:
- The foremost step is to remove the original photos or documents from the glass of your scanner.
- Then, slightly lift up the scanner lid.
- Use the Copy icon or button.
- Keep looking at the scanner. The scanner bar must illuminate and it must travel across the length of the scanner glass.
When performing these actions, if you don’t notice any movement or response in your scanner light, you should contact HP support for service. Alternatively, you can try out other troubleshooting methods.
Fix 2: Resetting the Printer to Fix HP Printer Scanner Failure
By resetting your HP printer, you can recover the printer machine from scanner failure or other errors affecting its functionality. To properly reset the HP printer, the following instructions can be considered:
- Remove the rechargeable battery if your printer uses one.
- Make sure the printer is on and then remove the power cord from your printer.
- Similarly, remove the power cord from the main power source.
- Wait for about 60 seconds.
- After this, connect the power cords back to the main source and printer as well. Although, it is recommended to plug the HP printer into the wall outlet directly.
After executing these steps, you can turn on your printer to finish the reset. Then, continue scanning your documents. If it shows a scanner failure error, move on to another method.
HP Print and Scan Doctor is a dedicated tool to scan the printer, detect the issue, and repair it. If you are bothered by a Scanner System Failure error, running this tool will help you to diagnose and solve scanning and printing issues.
To run HP Print and Scan Doctor tool on a Windows computer, you can pursue the following steps:
- Before proceeding, make sure you load enough papers in the paper tray.
- Then, power on your printer.
- After that, start downloading the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool on your Windows computer.
- Now, continue pursuing the prompts displayed on your screen to complete the installation.
- Once everything is set and a Welcome screen shows up, click on the Start button.
- Then, select the printer name and perform the diagnostic for your printer.
In case you don’t find the printer, select My product is not listed option. After that, continue following the instructions to troubleshoot the connection.
Most issues occurring in your printer get resolved if you remove the printer software from your computer and install the HP Smart app. For Windows, you can remove the printer software directly from the Control Panel whereas, for Mac computers, you will have to use the HP Easy Start app to uninstall the program.
Read the following instructions to uninstall the HP printer driver and install the HP Smart app on Windows and Mac computers:
Reinstall HP Printer Drivers on Windows
- Remove the USB cable from your printer.
- Then, use the Windows search bar and type Add or Remove programs.
- After this, search for the HP printer name from the list of programs.
- If you spot your printer:
- Click on the name of your printer.
- Select Uninstall.
- If you don’t find the printer from the list:
- Search for Printers and Scanners.
- Then, select your printer.
- Click on the Remove Device button.
- If you spot your printer:
- Select Yes when you see the User Account Control message.
- Pursue the instructions on your screen to finish the software removal.
- Later, restart your Windows computer.
- Visit 123.hp.com for downloading and installing the HP Smart app.
Reinstall HP Printer Drivers on Mac
- Visit 123.hp.com/setup to download HP Easy Start and install it on your Mac system.
- Once done, click on the HP Easy Start drop-down option.
- Select the Uninstall HP Software option.
- Pursue the displayed prompts to remove all the HP software.
- After this, visit 123.hp.com to download the HP Smart app.
Once you successfully uninstall the HP printer software and install the HP Smart app on your computer, you can verify if you can scan the documents.
Scanner Failure or Scanner System Failure error can be solved if you implement the relevant solution. If the aforementioned solutions do not troubleshoot your scanner failure error, you should service your HP printer.