Make sure you are using the recommended length of the USB cable. Also, check if the cable is damaged. After examining this, restart both your computer and printer.
- Power off the computer and printer.
- Remove the USB cable from your printer and computer.
- Then, check the cable following these requirements:
- Replace the cable if it is longer than 3 m or damaged.
- If the cable is not damaged but shorter than 3 m then connect this cable to another USB port on your computer. Make sure the USB port is 2.0 or higher. In case you use a docking station or USB hub, connect this cable to the computer directly.
- Now, reconnect the USB cable to the printer.
- Power on your computer and let the machine start properly.
- Turn on your printer and add the printer (Mac). For Windows, you can wait for your PC to install the new device.
Read more: HP printer assistant not working